San Antonio, Graveyard Queen and Prickly Pear Margaritas

By July 26, 2014

IMG_1568¡Hola!

I’m just back from the RWA conference in San Antonio and had a great time visiting with some of my writer friends. Prickly Pear margaritas at Boudros on the River Walk was the first order of business. The drink, I’ll be honest, was a little sweet for my taste, but the color is just so lusious!  So I had two. 🙂

I’ve always loved San Antonio. I know the River Walk is crowded and touristy, but I still think it’s beautiful, so shady and verdant. And no matter how many times I visit the Alamo, I always have a moment. It’s one of those places that touches me deeply. There is a feeling that something lingers. Not ghostly, perhaps, but definitely spiritual.

On Friday night, I had dinner with my editor. We spent some time catching up and then the conversation turned to The Graveyard Queen. The good news is we are both still very excited about this series so full speed ahead with the next three books. Or as I think of them, the next trilogy. Because they really are of a piece with their own story arc, character growth and so forth.

Now here is the update that I promised you a few weeks ago:  The Visitor will be released next April!

If feels so good to be back on the schedule, back on track and writing regularly. Dates are always subject to change, but that’s where we stand at the moment. In the meantime, I’ll be doing an online prequel–The Order–which will set up the fourth book (The Visitor) and launch the trilogy.  I may even write the prequel from Devlin’s POV because I think it would be interesting (to say the least) to get inside his head. No firm date when this will be out, but I’m thinking around February or March.

Oh!  And the (tentative) title for the fifth book is…………….The Sinner.  Hopefully, it will be out around October, 2015, just in time for Halloween! :O

IMG_1569We’ve decided to temporarily (only temporarily) put the young adult series on hold while I write the next two Graveyard Queen books. So a long time until the first one, but the next two should follow fairly quickly. As I mentioned before, the new covers have a completely different look, but are sharp and evocative in their own right. Look for the unveiling on my website around the first of the year.

And speaking of websites, thank you all so much for your tips and suggestions. I’m going to try to use all of them because they are that great. One of the suggestions was to have an interactive section on the site where we could all upload our favorite cemetery photos. I have to say, I love, love, LOVE this idea and am talking to my web designer about the best way to go about it. So anytime you see a lovely graveyard or an interesting headstone or monument, please  snap a shot for me (and Amelia) if you’re so inclined. 🙂

• jink says:

YES!!! Please count me in! Any Texas Angel Hunt shots that you like!!! jINk

• Jeanne says:

So the next set of books will take place right after the others?

Plus, I love the idea of posting pictures of graveyards, headstones, etc. Reading your books were the main reason for my fascination with the artwork and unique designs of the headstones and above ground tombs. From my New Orleans trip, I have a picture of Madame Laveau’s tomb and few others that I could share. In addition, I would love to see what others have. 🙂

Meanwhile, have fun writing!

Yes, the next three books pick up where the others left off! I think it’s going to be an interesting time for Amelia. 🙂

I can’t wait to see your New Orleans cemetery photographs. I’ll try to get that going just as soon as I can. That’ll be a lot of fun and interesting, too.

• Stephanie says:

Yay! I’m SO glad you liked the graveyard picture idea for your website! It was actually inspired by your husband… and a post you’d written that mentioned that he had sent you a picture of a cemetery while on a business trip. I thought it would be nice to keep that going. 🙂 Can’t wait to see what all your readers have to share!

• Claudiawench says:

so excited for the new book!

Absolutely LOVE the idea of uploading pics, not that I visit a bunch of graveyards, but would enjoy seeing what other folks have. =)

I’m excited, too!

And I can’t wait to see all the cemetery photographs. I hope we get some from all over the place! 🙂

• Beverly says:

I’m so excited!! I absolutely love this book series, and I’m so excited for it to continue! 🙂

• B.J. Daniels says:

I couldn’t be happier to hear all of this!!! Can’t wait.

• Kay says:

Fantastic news on all fronts. So anxious to see what Amelia and Devlin are into next. I need my Graveyard Queen fix!!

• Carla says:

Looking forward to the next book in the series! I am so glad there is a release date. 🙂 I did want to ask what ever happened to “The garden of perpetual slumber”?

Thanks, Carla! The Garden of Perpetual Slumber is still in the works. It’s actually a finished manuscript, but it needs some work and I just haven’t had enough time to devote to it. But I talked to my editor a bit about it and it’s definitely still on the table for some time in the future. 🙂

• Tracy says:

I am so excited for the return of the Graveyard Queen! I have to say it is truly my most loved books ever! I also love the idea of sharing cemetery pics. I prowl them every chance I get! Going to Texas for the first time in October there must be wonderful cemeteries there! Wish you well

What a wonderful compliment! Thank you! Hope you have a great time in Texas. The weather should be really nice in October. 🙂

• Lynn says:

I am so excited to hear that there will be more Graveyard Queen books! I have been hooked on this series ever since I reviewed the first one for Fresh Fiction! Thank you so much, Amanda, for giving us all such a fantastic series to love and look forward to.

• Michelle Morrison says:

I am looking forward to the new book. And I love the idea of an interactive place to post pictures too.

• Riku Jones says:

Im really anxious! I can’t wait to read all books. I should get back to my own schedual too since I haven’t written since last month x__X

• Debra Dockstader says:

I like the idea of a novel written fom Devlin’s POV. He and Amelia are such strong characters. When (if) you schedule a book-signing tour, think you could make it to Boise or Twin Falls, Idaho?

I would love to come up your way, Debra! I’ve never been to Idaho.

I’ll keep you posted about the novella! I’ll start plotting it soon so maybe I can give a teaser or two along the way. 🙂

• Holly says:

Woot Woot! *Happy Dance* Can’t wait for the next book! I’ve been re-reading the first three over the past month or two and it’s gotten me so excited for what’s to come. One of my favorite series ever.

I’m so happy to hear this! And I’m really excited about the direction Amelia’s ‘gift’ is taking her. 🙂

• Silvia says:

Hello Amanda,

First of all thanks a lot of the great news that I´ve could see here, another three books about Amelia story! I can ´t wait to read about her, and her “dark” world! The other thing, is… well, many many thanks for writting about this stories, I like them so much, and I introduce my family and friends to read them, too. I writte you from Barcelona (Spain), and here, probably the book translation´ll arrive later, but I´m trying to improve my English, (a Little bit every day), beacause I´d like to be able to read in English. So, it could be fantastic to see you in Spain!

Best wishes,

Sílvia

Silvia, gracias!!! I’m so thrilled you’re enjoying my graveyard stories. Barcelona is one of the cities I have always wanted to visit. So beautiful!

Your English is fantastic!

• Silvia says:

Muchas gracias a ti Amanda! Many thanks for your kindness, I hope you can visit us soon!