So this happened…

By August 11, 2014

Yeah, this happened today:

IMG_1666

And then this happened…

IMG_1665

That’s right. FINALLY, The Visitor is off to my editor, off to production and I’m letting no grass grow under my butt before starting Book Five, which as you may recall is tentatively titled The Sinner.

I’m dead-dog tired. I stayed up all night finishing the manuscript and unfortunately, I don’t even have that punch-drunk high that usually sustains me until mid-afternoon. Today I’m just flat out pooped.

I’m really excited about the series direction and I hope you will be, too. There are a few things going on with Amelia, coupla changes that I might be a leetle worried about……..nope.  Just excited.

Anyway, here is a little teaser from The Visitor:

My gaze went straight to the door and I paused there with hammering heart. Then tiptoeing across the room, I pressed my ear to the thick wood. All was silent in the cellar, but I could feel the seep of cold air through the keyhole. Not for anything would I put my eye to the aperture, but I had to wonder if something was on the other side peering in at me.

I knelt and shone the flashlight beam through the opening. A high-pitched squeal—or was it a whistle?—had me scrambling back to the middle of the kitchen floor. Drawing my knees up to my chest, I sat there quaking, my gaze glued to that keyhole.

And just a little hint from The Sinner:

Mortsafes_in_Logierait_kirkyard_-_geograph.org.uk_-_278670

Photo Credit:  Martyn Gorman

• Anne Parrett says:

Like! Can’t wait. Hope all goes well on next book. Go get some sleep.

• Yodamom says:

Omg are those coffin cages ? Eeeeekkkkkkkk I love it. Okay that is one scary little bit you gave us, the evil something through the keyhole. Who wouldn’t be scared with that one ?!??!?!? Bravo, I’m hooked

• Mary Lou Kimberling says:

Can’t wait to get my copy and get started reading!!!!!!!

• Rothy321 says:

This is fantastic! 🙂

• Melanie says:

Well done!!! It must be a great feeling. I am sooooooooo looking forward to getting my copy!! 🙂

• Lauri says:

I figure that by the time I can buy The Visitor, all the upheaval in my house will be over, books will be out of boxes and back on shelves, and then I can read the first three again as a precursor.

I know all about upheaval, Lauri! Just went through a major remodel amongst other things. Definitely one of those ideas that sounded good at the time. 🙂

• Rosalind says:

Glad to hear and I am already planning to pre-order both books! You are a wonderful writer and I tell all my friends about your books 😉 I hope you are getting some much needed sleep today thanks for the good news.

• Krista says:

I’m so excited!!! I love this series!

• Spaz says:

WOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! So exciting!!!!!!!

• Jeanne says:

:O Oh my! Sounds so good and that is just a snippet!

Coffin cages! That’s a new one for me. Awesome and intriguing if I can say.

Nice work! Now take a well deserved break. 😀

• lee ann daugherty, B&N bookseller says:

Good work….good grief(!)…and go to bed.

Haha! Thanks Lee Ann. I slept really well last night!

BTW, did I ever tell you my daughter’s name is Leanne? However you spell it, I love the name. 🙂

• I cant wait either. I really look forward to books four and five. I love the graveyard queen. In real life I am taphophile as well..

I’ve always loved old graveyards, but I haven’t been visiting them lately like I used to. Maybe I’ll take a trip this weekend.

• Jeannie Hancock says:

Coffin cages, OMG how scary is that!! Just when I thought I had heard it all, you find a new twist, you are amazing 😀

• carla m nichols ricker says:

I received disappointing news today and this is what I needed! CANNOT WAIT!!!! The Visitor…

So sorry about the disappointing news. I’ve certainly been there. But I’m glad we could cheer each other up!! 🙂

• Lacinda Neu says:

This is such great news after a long work day! Can’t wait! Thanks for working so hard for your fans!

• debra says:

Oh my gosh Amanda! I got chills reading that. You really know how to get the creep factor spot on. 🙂 So excited. Every time I go to the library I keep hoping to see your new book. Soon! Hmmm…and I’m really curious what changes are happening? Hints?! / know you are so pooped but believe me when I say you made this girl’s Monday! 🙂

Debra@stylewisebydebra.com

I’m so happy to oblige! 😉 Let’s just say the changes are kind of a continuation of what I’ve been teasing/hinting at in the last three books.

Hopefully, I’ll be able to post the new cover soon. Totally different design.

• Lynn Cunningham says:

I had the pleasure of reading and reviewing The Restorer for Fresh Fiction way back when LOL I was hooked! After that, I had to buy the others in the series because I love this character! I’m so excited to know that I’ve got more to look forward to in the near future. Thank you so much for bringing these wonderful stories into my life. 🙂

Lynn, I think I remember that review. It was very well written, as I recall. I think writing reviews is one of the hardest forms of writing. It’s a real art.

• Holly says:

Yes Yes Yes!!! Can’t wait!! 🙂

• nancy heard says:

YYYEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jen says:

HOORAY! I can’t wait, I can’t wait, I can’t wait, I CAN’T WAIT!!!! I am so excited! Tell that publisher to get a move on it! 😉

• Satinder says:

Congratulations and thank you for finishing! I’ve already re-read the first 3 books so I guess I will have another read before next April.

I asked you this on Twitter but maybe you didn’t see it- will Thane and Devlin ever come face to face? Understand if you don’t want to spoil anything but if they do- I don’t know if I could take it!!

I didn’t see it! I apologize. I need to get back in the habit of checking Twitter more often. I’ve neglected it this past year or so.

To answer your question about Thane and Devlin, let me say this: The sixth book will take place at least in part in Asher Falls. 🙂

• Carla says:

WOW! I’m so excited for you and me as well! I love this sexy gothic series. 🙂
    I wanted to ask about your writing process. How long does it usually take you to write your first draft? I wrote my first draft of 85,000 word in 31 days. Now it is taking me months to write the second draft. And I realized the first draft read like a grocery list. LOL

Grocery list, lol. But that’s not a bad thing. A lot of writers I know use that process. Their first draft is more like a detailed outline. Then they go back and just keep fleshing out and layering until they have a final draft.

I’m a fairly slow writer and I tend to edit as I go, which is not a great idea. It can really kill your momentum. For some reason, I just can’t seem to make myself write straight through so I never really have a true first draft. When I’m finished, it’s usually good to go except for the ending. I always have to put the book aside for at least a day or two and then go back in and fix the ending because I do tend to rush those final scenes. From start to finish, if everything else in my life is going smoothly, I allow 5-6 months for a book.

• darlene says:

OMG!!!!!! so excited for you new book. nice little teaser you gave me. I thoroughly enjoy your writing. I am so sorry that you have drained all of your energy for us. give yourself some R&R, you deserve it.

• DEBRA K MILAM says:

OMG! I’VE WAITED ALMOST 2 YEARS FOR “THE VISITOR”! REALLY ENJOYED YOUR OTHER GRAVEYARD QUEEN BOOKS. WORKING HARD TO PLEASE YOUR FANS! LIKE THAT ALOT!

You guys are so worth it, Debra! Thank you for sticking with me these past two years! The next two books should come out a lot quicker, fingers crossed. 🙂

• Lynn says:

Great news, Amanda – well done, you! I can’t wait to read what Amelia is up to (I’ve just started writing a novel and the heroine’s name is Amelia, inspired by your Amelia)

A thought sprang to mind when I looked at the photo – are the coffin cages intended to keep grave robbers out, or are they intended to keep something/someone in?

Great heroine name!! 🙂

The cages were definitely used to keep out grave robbers back in the Victorian days. But in my world (and yours!) they could also be used to keep something in. :O

• Pamela Andersen says:

Congrats Amanda for finishing “The Visitor”. Can’t wait to read more about Devlin and Amanda. What’s up with the NBC series? I still see Live Schreiber as a perfect Devlin…tall, handsome and so sexy.

No news on the TV front, unfortunately. That opportunity may have come and gone, but you never know. Someone else might take an interest. I do love Liv Schreiber. He’s such a great actor. 🙂

• Shelley says:

I can’t wait!!!!!!!!!! Lol…

• Amy says:

Huzzah!!!!! Can’t wait!

Yessss!! I can’t wait, so excited. Congrats on finishing, bet it feels amazing.

• Jeri says:

Hello Ms. Stevens,

I am happy to say that I have “restarted” this book series over…and am very excited to read the “The Visitor.”

I am laid up healing from a very painful shoulder surgery so your books are giving me reprieve from cabin fever.

You are a very talented writer!!! Keep ’em comin!!

All the best,
    Jerilyn Cole

• Paula says:

Yay – so excited. Love love love this series and I know you’ve been thru so much. Congratulations and can’t wait to start reading your book! Loved the others so much!