My Misadventure in the Big Apple

By October 15, 2014

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 presetIf you saw this photo on my Facebook wall, you may be wondering if I’m posting from the Big House.  Nope.  I’m home, safe and sound, and here’s the 411.

Last Friday afternoon, I had my purse stolen while having coffee with my agent in New York. Major, major bummer. I’m usually very careful about watching my belongings, but somehow during the course of the conversation, I got a little negligent and bam! That’s all it took. We later saw how the whole thing went down on the surveillance footage. Scary stuff. The guy was obviously a professional and targeted me as soon as he walked into the restaurant. I’m probably lucky this all happened in such a public place.

Anyway, the restaurant called the police and these two young cute cops came to take my statement, and then I had to go to the nearest precinct to talk to a detective. Hence, the ride in the squad car. And by the way, the police–from the officers to the detectives–were the nicest guys ever. New York’s finest, indeed.

After my conversation with the detectives, the two young cute cops gave my daughter and me a ride back to her apartment and I have to say, that part of the experience was kind of awesome–speeding through the mean streets of New York in the back of a police car. And I do mean speeding.  O_O

By this time, I’d already canceled all my credit cards so no worries there, but my phone, house key, car keys, everything was gone including my driver’s license. If you’ve ever wondered whether you can board a plane without a photo ID, you can, but it’s stressful. And it helps to have a book in hand that is copyrighted under your real name with an author photo in the back. 😉

Actually, it was easier getting through airport security than getting my car from the airport parking garage. I quickly found out that a locksmith can’t duplicate a key for my make of car. A replacement can only be acquired through an authorized dealer and guess what? You can’t get a key made without a photo ID.

Long story short, I inundated the poor guy at the dealership with documents and paperwork until he finally approved my key. Two days later, I was finally able to get my car from the parking garage and then it was off to the DMV!

What did I learn?

• Don’t keep spare car key in purse (that’s another story).
  • Remember pin numbers because, turns out, they’re kind of important.
  • Travel with alternate ID and keep them separate.
  • Fanny packs weren’t such a terrible invention after all.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

• Michelle Morrison says:

Well, I’m sorry you had your purse stolen, but the cute detectives probably kind of made up for that. 🙂

They were really the nicest guys. So many people went out of their way to be helpful. It restored my faith in humanity, for sure.

• Nancy Heard says:

OH. YES. i have had my purse stolen in new york!!! i am soooooo sorry that happened but i have to say i’m more than a little jealous about the speeding police car trip through new york!!! i would have been giggling like a school girl, i have NO doubt. so glad you were able to get all the important things taken care of, and thank you for sharing the learned info! of course, i’ll probably forget it all by the next time i ever fly anywhere. but that’s another story…

It seems to be a common occurrence in New York.

But, yes, that flying trip through nighttime New York was awesome. We were in the middle lane at a light near my daughter’s apartment and she mentioned to the cop that was driving that he’d need to get over in the left lane as her street was coming up. He said, “Yeah, I’ll just cut in front of all those people.” And he did. 🙂

• Claudiawench says:

I’ve had my purse and wallet stolen. My drivers license was no biggie to me, it was my green card that costs a fortune that hurt the most. It was a lesson well learned.

I’m glad the cops/ detectives made it less stressful for you. I am sorry that it happened.

I have to say, the pic is awesome. There’s such mischievousness written all over it.

I told my daughter she had to get a picture because I needed SOMETHING from that experience. lol

Believe it or not, the hardest and most expensive thing for me to replace were those darn car keys!

• Jeannie Goad Hancock says:

I am just so thankful you were not injured and that you live so far away since they got your keys. So sorry that you had to go through all that!

• Cathey says:

Scary stuff! I lived in NYC for about 15 years and a lot of scary stuff happened. The worst part was jumping awake in panic from the aftershock dreams. Thankfully you weren’t hurt!

I agree, it can be a little scary. I’ve lived in Houston for many, many years so I’m used to a big city. But New York is in a league of its own. I do love visiting there, though. No place like it.

• Carla says:

My hubby had his wallet stolen and two weeks later I got a call at 3am from a police officer informing me they where taking my husband to jail! Well after looking at my husband in bed I informed the officer that was not my husband….his exact words where, “Are you sure?” Haha….I told him my husband is laying in bed with me and I was pretty sure!! Long story short the man had a few more charges dropped on him that night and we got the wallet back😉