Beautiful, mystical Charleston

By November 8, 2014

IMG_0123I’m back from Charleston, freshly inspired and raring to get back to The Sinner. It was an AMAZING trip, an almost mystical journey into Amelia’s world. I stood in front of her house, strolled along the Battery where she first met Devlin and sat in contemplation in the Unitarian Churchyard, which is the location of an important scene in The Visitor.

A very strange thing happened as my friend and I stood waiting for a cab on Rutledge. A young, blonde woman dressed in athletic wear strode past us, looked me directly in the eyes and smiled. Then she crossed the street and entered the front gate of Amelia’s house. I think the hair at the back of my neck stood on end.

If you’ve never been to Charleston, I highly recommend a visit to this beautiful, charming, historical city, also known as the Holy City.

Amelia’s Neighborhood

Rainbow Row

The Battery

Unitarian Churchyard

• Cezilla says:

I was “visiting” Charleston with Google Street View, and I marked all the places of the books! 🙂

• Sarah says:

The houses are so cool! I have always wanted to visit Charleston! Love your books and you recreate the atmosphere of Charleston so well!

• Veronica says:

I finished The Restorer just a few moments ago. It was a Book of the Month selection for an online book group I belong to on Goodreads. I enjoyed it so much I had to come immediately to this site to find out more. I’m happy there will be more books coming. I will be moving on to The Kingdom right away (even though I hear Devlin isn’t in it – will miss him). Also, I’m a visual person so these pictures really help me.

Veronica

• Debra Docksader says:

Hi Amanda!
    Texting from Southern Idaho where the morning temp. is 17 above.
    Brrrr. Awaiting anxiously for ‘The Visitor’. Do you have any idea when it will be available for early purchase? I try to preorder my favorite books before they are actually available for shipment.
    May God Bless You for the joy you bring through your writing.

Debra

HI Debra! I don’t know a preorder date yet as the publisher is waiting to have the next three books in hand to set pub dates. The plan right now is to have them come out close together. I’ll keep you posted!

• Kathie says:

Hello Amanda,

I was born and raised in upstate South Carolina (my husband and I currently live in Central Florida)so Charleston is very well known to me. It is very beautiful and I love the books setting in area. When I chanced upon these books, well over a year and a half ago, I couldn’t read just one and wait. I read all 3 in less than a week. I love reading books of areas where I am from. South Carolina people are just good people. I was sad to hear to the reason for the delay of the 4th book. I hope you and your family are doing better. Anyway, wanted to drop you a line (or two) and say I am very excited for the rest of the series to come out. I will wait of course for them all to be out to read them. That’s not to say that I will not wait to buy them when they hit the shelf. Like one of the other posters, I like to preorder.

Thanks again for such a unique and interesting series. I find headstone very mysteries and full of so many stories.

Have a great weekend!

Kathie

Thanks so much, Kathie. I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed my most recent trip to Charleston. The city and the countryside are absolutely gorgeous and I felt very at home there. As you said, South Carolina people are good people, warm, friendly and charming. I can’t wait to go back.

I’ll keep you posted about Book 4 and the rest of the series!

• Kathie says:

Mysterious*

• Jeri says:

Hello Ms. Stevens,

Hope all is well with you and your family. I am very much looking forward to the next Graveyard Queen book. I am trying to hunt down Hard Cover copies of all of them. I am a book “junkie” and somewhat a “snob” when it comes to wanting certain book collections in Hard Cover.

Anyways, the reason I am writing is just a question… a couple of weeks ago I submitted 3 cemetery pics that were pretty awesome … all from Michigan’s beautiful Upper Peninsula, one of them has the view of the Mackinac Bridge in the distance (we call it “The Mighty Mac”) but I haven’t seen them up on the website. It is very possible that I did something wrong or missed a step??? Suggestions?

Jerilyn Cole

Hi Jeri–thanks so much for writing and for sending photographs! I apologize for being so slow to update the cemetery gallery. I’ve been out of town for the past few weeks and then I had company this week. I’m hoping to get all the photographs up this weekend. I love seeing them in the gallery!

• Black Celebration says:

Hello Amanda, sorry if you already explained this, but are the other 3 books you are working on related to the Graveyard Queen series? So we will have The Visitor + other 3 books?? If so I’m very happy because I adore the atmosphere of your books, you are fantastic, wish you the best 🙂

Yes, they are all Graveyard Queen books. The Visitor, The Sinner and another as yet untitled.

I’m guessing you’re a Depeche Mode fan. 🙂 They’ve been my favorite band since 1980. 🙂

• Jeri Cole says:

Hello Ms. Stevens:

Thank you for replying…nice to know I didnt miss a step or something. I have so many pictures of cemetaries in Salem, MA as well…if I could just find the memory card from my camera. Ha… someday.

Hope all is well!!! We are in feet of snow… lots of fluffy white snow. So beautiful on the pine trees.

Take Care and Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Jeri Cole

• Christine says:

I’m enjoying my first visit to Charleston right now and am so looking to rereading the series after having the chance to explore the city!

• Jeannie Goad Hancock says:

Looking forward to the new releases! 🙂

• Ismael Román says:

Hola Amanda! Queria enviarte un saludo desde Argentina. Me enamoré de la serie “The Graveyard Queen” y no veo la hora de poder leer la continuación de “El Profeta”
    Espero que todo vaya bien. Un abrazo!
    PD: perdón por no traducirlo, pero mi inglés es malo.

Ismael R.

Hola y Feliz Año Nuevo! Muchas gracias por sus amables palabras. Estoy tan feliz de que estés disfrutando de los libros Cementerio Queen !!

• Irene says:

If series is excellent

• suse says:

Hallo amanda.mein englisch ist nicht gut deswegen schreibe ich auf deutsch. Ich liebe ihre bücher. Es ist eine Welt in die ich so gerne eintauche. Ich selbst interessiere mich sehr für Friedhöfe und geister. Also ist es perfekt. Ich komme aus Deutschland – Schleswig Holstein und bin ein Riesen Fan. Die reihe darf nie enden. Mfg suse

• Aleida says:

Hi Ms. Stevens

I recently started reading The restorer because my mom suggested me to do so, it turned out I’m in love with your books. I finished The restorer in two days and I started the Kingdom right away. I’ve already finished reading it, so I’m about to start The prophet… Could you tell me which order should I follow? I mean, I know the prophet is the third, but which one should I read next? I live in Mexico City and The Cementery Queen book series is relatively new here so I don’t know which one should I read after The prophet…

Aleida Membrillo

Thank you! I’m so happy you’re enjoying the series, Aleida! You’re reading them in the correct order. The Restorer, The Kingdom and The Prophet. I don’t have release dates yet for–The Visitor, The Sinner and Book 6 (untitled as yet)–but I’ll let you know when I do!

Thanks so much for writing to me! 🙂

• Rose says:

Oh how I love Charleston!! I feel in love with the city as soon as I got there. In fact I learned to LOVE graveyards in Charleston.

You do this city pround in your Graveyard Queen series. You bring me back to the city for a quick vacation

Love the books!!

Rose, your comment makes me so happy. I love Charleston, too. I feel so at home there and at the same time, in awe of all the history and beauty. And the cemeteries! It’s a very unique city. I can’t wait to go back. 🙂

• Kasey V says:

Heading to Charleston this October. Your books are a big reason for my visiting. I can’t wait to see Amelia’s city. I will be doing a re-read soon so that her story is fresh in my mind for when I walk Charleston’s streets! I can’t wait to capture the sights with some photography. Thank you for introducing the city to me in your books. It is going to be a great trip!

Oh, you will love it!!! I’m heading back in November, so our paths will almost cross. 🙂 October should be a gorgeous time of year to visit. You might want to have a meal at Harmony Grill if you have time. That’s in Amelia’s neighborhood and the food is fantastic!