So long but not goodbye…

By July 28, 2016

It’s been a while since I posted so I thought it high time I catch everyone up on what I’m doing. It’s been a very busy summer, writing-wise. I finished The Awakening, the sixth and (for now) final installment of The Graveyard Queen series and I’m happy to report, the revisions are done and the book is in production. It will be out in April, 2017. And don’t forget The Sinner, which will be out in October of this year.

I have to admit, I’m feeling a bit emotional. I’m going to miss Amelia and Devlin and all the other characters that I’ve lived with for so long. They’ve helped me through some very difficult times. When real life throws a curve ball, there is nothing like immersing yourself in the fictional lives of people you’ve come to love. I think I’ll miss Amelia most of all. From the moment she popped into my head, I’ve liked and respected her and I always looked forward to our daily visits. :*(

However, it really is so long and not goodbye because I’m currently working on an ebook that not only features Amelia and Devlin, but also introduces the cast of my new series, which I’m tentatively calling Bringing Back the Dead. This will undoubtedly change, but it gives you a hint about the content. 🙂

I don’t want to say too much about the new material because I’m not yet under contract and I don’t want to jinx anything. But I’m very excited about the concept and the new POV character named Beatrice. Bee for short. Or Bea. Or something else entirely. I’m trying out a few names until I hit upon the right one. That sometimes takes a little time.  I like old-fashioned names for my Southern characters.  Alice is a favorite.  I had a beautiful cousin named Alice.  However, the name seems to be quite popular right now so I’m a little uncertain.  Maybe the character will tell me.

Like Amelia, Bee (or Alice or Something Else Entirely) has a connection to the other world and an unusual rapport with the dead. She’s dark and serious and a little quirky. I like her a lot already. And I can’t wait to start tormenting her.

Here’s a little tease from the new book/series:

Every day, eight o’clock sharp, the nurse came in to change my bandages. On Thursday, a new nurse arrived. She was young and pretty with a round face and a patient demeanor. She took her time with me. Unlike the other nurse, who had learned early on not to linger or make eye contact.

🙂

• Lynda Jo says:

I’ll miss the Graveyard Queen, too. But, the important thing is that you are still writing and the new series sounds intriguing.

I will definitely keep writing, Lynda. Thank you for your words of encouragement. They mean a lot to me.

• carla ricker says:

Amanda, I read the Abandoned which brought me into the Graveyard Queen series…Whatever you write, I will be reading…I love how you write and it draws me in…like I’m there seeing all… I know that your true blue fans are going to follow you into the next series or book…Be well…Write I’ll read…
    Carla M Nichols-Ricker

Oh, thank you, Carla. I love you guys. You’ve hung in there with me through some really tough times. I think the new series will be fun for all of us. 🙂

• Evelyn says:

I love The Graveyard Queen and will miss it too, but he new series sounds great too. I will read whatever you write. Love your books..

Thanks so much, Evelyn. I think the new series will be a lot of fun. It’s something different but with similarities to The Graveyard Queen. I’m really looking forward to digging in. 🙂

• Veronica G. says:

Oh no! The end of Amelia and Devlin? *sad face* Well, you’re the author so if you feels it’s time, then it’s time. If it’s the publisher’s decision, however, I may need to stage a protest. In any event, a new series will help ease my sadness at bidding aloha to the Graveyard Queen series.

It is the publisher’s decision, but I don’t disagree. I think they’re ready to see something new from me and they’re encouraging me to stretch my wings a bit. I like that. And I think this new project will be a lot of fun. 🙂

• I’ll miss The Graveyard Queen, but I know I’ll love your new stories too <3. You have the ability of giving beauty to the darkest stories.

• Alesha says:

What is going on with Ozark Witch? and some of the other titles it looks like you were working on before the website redesign?

The Ozark witch story is still alive and kicking. I sent that proposal to my publisher at the same time as Bringing Back the Dead. Right now, they seem focused on Bringing Back the Dead, but that’s not to say we won’t still do the Ozark witch story in the future. I’m not a very fast writer so I have to concentrate on one project at a time. I so envy those writers who can balance so many stories at once.

• Nicki Lutostanski says:

I too love the old fashioned names. I have nieces Millicent, Lillian and Evelyn. Love all three of those names. (It funny, though. Millicent is now a 21 year old 2nd degree belt Krav Maga college student thinking about Quantico as a career. Her alter ego name, when she is teaching Krav Maga classes is Mill. Then she is terrifying. Hahaha!) I agree with everyone. I will miss Amelia and Devlin, but look forward to whatever new world you take us to. Just keep writing, Amanda.

I love all three of those names, too! So beautiful and elegant. Millicent (Mill) sounds totally kick-a$$! Love it! I will definitely keep writing. I’m eager to see where these new characters take me.

• Yodamom says:

I will miss reading of more of their adventures, but I am super excited to see where you go from here.

Thanks! I’m excited, too! 🙂 New stories are always fun. Well, until the deadlines roll around. haha

• Shelly says:

I love how you weave mystery, magic and love together. Keep going! I have a hard time finding your beautiful mix with other novels. So a new set of stories is a thrill. Also your narrator Khristine Hvam does a lovely job of bringing Amelia and Devlin to life in my earbuds. Thanks for the update!

I think Khristine does a great job, too, Shelly. I’m so happy she’s done all of the series.

Thank you so much for your wonderful comment. I’m going to try to keep that mix going in the new series even though the tone is a bit different.

• Amanda Ruane says:

I remember reading about Amelia for the first time years ago and how excited I was to have found her and I am sad she will be going away. I have to say though Awakening sounds intriguing. I can wait to read it. Good luck!

It is sad, but you never know–there could be more Amelia stories in the future. Right now, a change of pace will probably be good for me. I’m excited about the new characters and the new stories. Helps keep the writing fresh. 🙂

• Robin says:

I am totally excited about the new series! I am a nurse and your excerpt has me intrigued. Can’t wait to see where this goes!!! You are awesome and thank you for the stories!!!!

• Melissa Valdez says:

I LOVE the Graveyard series and I am eagerly awaiting the remaining two books. I got my daughter hooked too! The new series sounds intriguing. I will be looking forward to it. Thank you for the great stories!

I hope you and your daughter will like the new series just as much, Melissa. I’ll work very hard to make sure it’s a good followup to the Graveyard Queen. 🙂

• Darlene says:

I will miss the graveyard queen, my mom and I first saw your books back in 2012, on our way to Quesnel,BC to bury my father (her hubby), we were both intrigued by the books excerpts and bought them, we were both able to read books 1 & 2, but sadly my mother became to sick to read any more and passed before she got to the third book……. My mom and I didn’t see
    Eye to eye on a lot of things but your books were one thing we both enjoyed….. I thank you for giving me the graveyard queen &I something special my mom and I shared because of her……. But I look forward to your new characters and will think of my mom at the same time, how your writings brought her so much joy….
    My biggest thanks to you Amanda

Oh, Darlene, you’ve made me tear up. Thank you so much for your lovely post. I’m going to read it every time I need inspiration. :*)

• Lynn S says:

Amanda, I’ll be sad to see Amelia & Devlin go – I’m sure those feelings must be multiplied a thousandfold for you!

On a personal note, I must thank you for writing the books – got me through some very tough times. My aunt was in a nursing home for the last few years of her life. Her eyesight was failing and I used to read to her when I visited. For just a few hours, we could both forget about everything else and escape to the deep South/Amelia’s world. I still remember how she’d smile when I opened the book – so did I cos we knew we were in for a treat!

Your new series sounds intriguing – you’re an awesome writer and I (and the rest of your fans, I’m sure) will read whatever you choose to write.

• Rebecca N says:

I am always sad to series go… but at least we have the ebook to look forward to. I have really enjoyed this series, Amelia and Devlin have been some of my favorite characters and I will miss them.

Thank you for writing the books and sharing them with us. I look forward to your other books and wish you the best.

• Jane H says:

Hi Amanda,
    I’m your newest fan and am reading Graveyard Series right now (just started The Visitor). I am so glad I discovered your books and love your writing. I’m glad to see you haven’t completely ruled out another future book on Amelia. I have surprisingly grown attached to her. I have always loved cemeteries and take picture requests for Find a Grave so I have thoroughly loved the books and especially the love story with Devlin. I will follow your updates on here and on facebook. You are very talented and I love your way with words. Excited about the idea of an “Ozark” connection– I live in Fort Smith, Arkansas.

Hi Jane! Glad you found me! I bet you’ve got a wonderful collection of cemetery photos.

BTW, I’m originally from Arkansas, a little town called Bradford. I had an uncle who lived in Fort Smith. 🙂

• Margaret says:

I’m so looking forward to the last two books in the Graveyard Queen series, I’m very anxious about the relationship between Amelia and Devlin. I sense angst in the future! I must say I’m also excited by your little teaser paragraph for your new story, intriguing and creepy – I like it.

• Coromoggie says:

I cant wait for the last two installments of The Graveyard Queen series. It is ironic because normally paranormal books are not my cup of tea. I came across the audio version of The Restorer by accident and decided to try it one evening. Well….the rest is history. Risking a chronic sleep deprivation I finished all four books in less then a week. Its good The Sinner is released in a month, otherwise i would have a nervous breakdown while waiting. I must say that the audio version of the series was fantastic and narrator to die for. I will definitely read more of your books and wait impatiently for the next series ; ) Thanks for your wonderful stories.

Thank you so much! I’m so glad you’re enjoying the series! I agree, the narrator is fabulous. If she’s unsure about a particular character’s accent, she always contacts me for clarification. That’s a true professional!

• L. A. says:

OH just read about the NEW series, about bringing back the dead. I shall miss Amelia, but looking forward to meeting Beatrice, or Sue, or Adelaide or whatever her name becomes 🙂 Can’t wait to start it, and in the meantime, I have two more books to read while saying my tearful goodbyes to Amelia! The Graveyard Queen has been one of my favorite book series ever!

• Janabelle says:

I came to the Graveyard Queen books because I loved your previous books, The Dollmaker, The Devil’s Footprints, and The Whispering Room and while I LOVE the Graveyard Queen series, I will gladly read whatever you bring us next. I’ve been going through a sort of, “reader’s block” the past couple of years, if such a thing exists, in which my reading tastes have changed (or I just became bored with everything that’s out there now) and I have a tough time finding books that intrigue me enough to actually read anymore. You are one of about three authors whose books I still consistently read and enjoy. Speaking of which, I just finished The Sinner this weekend and it felt SO GOOD to be immersed in an intriguing and well written story. So, THANK YOU for that. 😉 Just preordered The Awakening and Spring can’t come fast enough.

• Marcy Hart says:

I have enjoyed the Graveyard Queen series so much…I read the first three very quickly since I bought them in a set. However, I am unable to locate the next books in hardcover. Any ideas where I can locate them?

Thank you, Marcy! I don’t know about hardcover, but you should be able to get them in paperback on Amazon or Barnes and Noble. The Awakening won’t be out until the end of March,though.

• Julie says:

Your stories are so much fun for me to read. When I was little I used to love to spend the night with my granny. We would lay in bed at night and she would tell me ghost stories. Granny was a master storyteller. My favorite was one she swore was true. One winter when she was a girl they had a really bad snow storm. When the snow and wind had finally subsided, my great grandfather took her with him to check on an elderly neighbor. When they got there they found him gripping a rope he had tied from the barn to the house so he could find his way to the barn in the blizzard. He had frozen to death, crouched and gripping the rope. Her daddy carried him into the house, stoked the fire and left her there with him to go for help. She didn’t want to stay, but he didn’t want to take her back out and thought she would be fine and warm. Needless to say she was very scared in there withe the old man. It took her daddy quite a while to return. She sat by the stove and watched as the old man thawed out. And then she heard him sigh.
    My granny was born in 1898. She died at 98 years old. That story still scared her and me for that matter. Thank you for the great stories! I hope you enjoyed hers
    Kindest Regards

• Anne says:

So sad to see this series ending. Hoping Amelia and Devlin get their HEA.

• Doris Atton Humphrey says:

I thought the baby could start a new series – Maybe later? Foolishly I read the Awakening in one day and now I feel like I am LOST and it is a rainy day and I am in after Back Surgery. I should have limited myself to like 25 pages a day!!! If the new book is a E Book can those of us without a reader read it anyway? Some are older than others!!

Yes, Freya could definitely turn up in her own series one of these days! I have a follow-up story in mind already. If you have a computer–which obviously you do :)–you can download a Kindle app or any of the other reader apps for free. When the time comes and if you need help, just let me know.

• Janine Matsko-Bolacker says:

I have been enthralled with the Graveyard Queen series since the first book The Restorer! I have eagerly awaited each publication and have devoured them in turn. I just finished The Awakened and it did not disappoint. Thank you for an amazing journey. I am sorry there will be no more Graveyard Queen books but the ending was most satisfying.
    There a certain authors I will purchase and read based on their name alone. You Ms. Stevens are one of them! . Can’t wait to read your next book!

Thank you so much, Janine! I’ll miss Amelia and Devlin, but I’m already attached to my new character. Hope you will be, too. 🙂

• Courtney says:

So I loved the graveyard queen. But I was bummed on the ending of this last book. I just wished maybe like his reaction or a couple of days later or something.

• Opal Wallin says:

Really enjoyed this series and looking forward to the new series.

• Claudia says:

I loved the Graveyard Queen series! The Restorer was the type of story I had been searching for and I have been hooked ever since.
    I just finished reading ‘The Awakening’ the other day and now have all 6 books sitting on my shelf. I still feel there is so much I don’t know. How did Devlin get the scar on his chin that Amelia kept mentioning? What was the sacrifice / payment Darious mentioned for bringing John back from death? What became of Rhapsody Goodwine? Did she pursue good or evil? So many questions.

What I wonder most is how Devlin felt when he first met Amelia? Did he have any inkling that she could see ghosts, or how she helped Shani to cross over to the other side (he seemed to remain quite sceptical to the very end)?

Amelia sometimes had a rather self-deprecating view of herself and I would love to know the extraordinary things Devlin saw in her and why he was so similarly drawn to her. I would love, love, love to have the story written from John’s POV. I would love to experience the story and progression of the relationship from Devlin’s side. Would that ever be a consideration?

Thanks for this wonderful series!

Oh, I love your comment! I have thought about doing a story or two from Devlin’s POV. Or at least a novella. I still have questions, too. 🙂 I wasn’t ready to say goodbye. I had a lot more in store for Amelia and Devlin. You never know. I may yet get to answer some of our questions.

• Mary says:

Thank you for writing this amazing series, the Graveyard Queen. I enjoy paranormal themed books, but this is my first “horror/paranormal” book. You hit it out of the park! I have read all of the books numerous times and will probably do so again. I can honestly say that this is my favorite series of any I have ever read in any genre. I do hope you do continue to write at least one more with these characters. There is so much potential for a continuation of this line… John owning his abilities and taking down the Conge, Amelia mentoring, Freya a combination of both of them and as we all know, there is always plenty of evil in the world! I won’t repeat the questions that others have brought to light, but there are those too. It would be good for Amelia’s parents and grandparents find some happiness in their lives as well. Once again, Thank you and I do look forward to reading more of what ever you write. You have a gift!

Thank you so much, Mary! As I mentioned above, I’ve been thinking about continuing the series on my own, at least with a few novellas to tie up loose ends and give some of the characters closure. I always wanted to go back to Asher Falls. I don’t know if you remember, but I kind of hinted at a story about Thane’s fiancee being hidden away by Pel Asher. I pictured her in the same psychiatric hospital that I introduced in The Abandoned. So many stories still to tell!! haha